Job: Flower Farm Hand
Robin Hollow Farm is a fast paced, diverse flower farm. The farm uses sustainable and/or organic methods on about four acres in Saunderstown, RI. We grow in the field, in high tunnels, and utilize three heated greenhouses. We produce a wide variety of cut flowers and plants for three farmer’s markets, subscriptions and deliveries, and weddings and events.
Our family farm is highly successful, with well developed systems for all aspects of production. We focus on being very efficient while maintaining a high quality product. Cut flowers are a complex and exciting niche for a small-scale farm.
Mission and Values:
Robin Hollow Farm makes our clients' lives more beautiful by decorating their weddings, parties, homes and businesses. We grow gorgeous, diverse flowers and foliage in Saunderstown RI, and deliver them as finished arrangements and individual bunches to the Rhode Island area with a high level of customer service.
The Farm Hand’s responsibilities include the following:
- Learning, contributing to, and supporting an efficient harvest, safe and effective field work, and an organized and healthy greenhouse
- Learning from and supporting the Farmer’s Market Coordinator at markets and during market preparation
- Learning and contributing to the values and mission of Robin Hollow Farm.
- Cutting and processing flowers to support harvest
- Safe and effective field work includes transplanting, weeding, pruning, trellising, fence maintenance, scouting for bugs and disease
- An organized and healthy greenhouse includes potting, seeding, labeling.
- Diligent record keeping for all aspects
- Support the Farmer’s Market Coordinator by staffing markets and organizing flower inventory
- Communicate ideas for improvements in efficiency, organization, and record keeping
- The ability to operate tractors, delivery vans, and other equipment as needed, based on experience
- Helping to maintain a clean work environment by sweeping, disinfecting, and bucket washing
- Positive attitude, enjoying good communication with peers and customers
- Punctuality and Reliability
- Self motivated to work independently and in groups quickly and efficiently
- Able and willing to work full days of physically demanding tasks, which may be repetitive and strenuous, with occasional heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs) and bending and kneeling
- Experience in horticulture is preferred but not required
- Inquisitive minds are strongly encouraged
- Proof of Vaccination
Work Period and Compensation:
Variably, ASAP - November, 2022. Hours are 8:30-4:30, Tuesday - Saturday for the majority of the season. Hourly wage based on experience. Bonus based on performance and farm productivity. Benefits include farm produce (flowers, fruits, vegetables) and a health care plan for full-time employees entering their second season.
Mike Hutchison: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will respond to emails with an attached resume and cover letter stating what you’ll bring to the team.